Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Careers > Livvy Shelmerdine PGS 2015 - 2017

Livvy Shelmerdine PGS 2015 - 2017

Teaching was always the career Livvy had in mind, but she didn't quite realise how life changing teaching English on the other side of the world could be!
19 Apr 2023
Careers
Livvy's loving the culture and customs of Thailand
Livvy's loving the culture and customs of Thailand

Reflecting on my various education pathways and experiences convinced me that a career in education was what I wanted for myself.  Shaping young minds and being so influential in future generations is a privilege, and every day an exciting challenge.  I joined Pate’s Grammar School for sixth form, having previously attended The Cotswold School.  I studied Primary Education with Mathematics at Reading University and, within weeks of graduating, at just 21 years old, I began my teaching career at Amnuay Silpa School, an English-speaking private school in Bangkok.  It is hard to put into words just how much living and working on the other side of the world these past two years has changed my life.  I have learned a vast amount about different cultures, and about myself.

My teaching day in Thailand is 7am - 3:30pm, in any school every day is different, but Thailand really puts a new meaning to that phrase.  We have many cultural celebration days and many days where parents are welcomed into school, to be part of the school day and after-school sports clubs. Being surrounded by children and their families whose first language is not English, has meant adapting my practices and teaching style and has enriched my pedagogy and my outlook on life.  However, I am in awe of the spirit of my Thai pupils and their families, their love of learning and the speed with which they pick up the English language. I have been made to feel so welcome in this culture, where my contribution as a teacher of young minds is highly valued.  I will carry this ethos with me throughout my career.

During my time in Thailand I have made lifelong friends from many different countries, both inside and outside my work.  I spend my free time discovering everything Bangkok has to offer, or visiting the world-renowned Thai islands just a short flight away.  I take every opportunity to immerse myself in different cultures around this part of the world, having now explored Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Bali, Cambodia, Philippines, and Singapore all in just 2 years! The gift of all the school holidays is a huge advantage to anyone who loves to travel.  My next career move is taking me to Australia, and I am excited to experience education and life down under!  Teaching is so rewarding and I can highly recommend it - especially if you want a career which can take you anywhere in the world!

If you’d like to get in touch with Livvy to find out more about teaching abroad, join Pate’s Community as a member and use the Connect facility to send her a message.

Similar stories

Arywen (centre) and her team with PN counting equipment

Six months into her Government Degree Apprenticeship as an Economist with the Department of Transport, Arywen has thrown herself into the role and is enjoying all the opportunitie… More...

Phoebe outside Durham Cathedral

Phoebe lends some valuable insights into her life as a Politics & International Relations student at the wonderful (smal… More...

Businesses in the Refectory

The 2023 HE & Careers Fair was the biggest and best yet! It was wonderful to have so many universities, gap year organis… More...

Leo and Sophie talk about the decision making behind taking a gap year and the far reaching benefits that taking that ye… More...

James talks about his musical life to date - studying Music at Pate's, a Cambridge degree, being a freelance musician an… More...

Most read

We are absolutely thrilled that Pate’s, partnered with Cotswold School Academy, has been selected as one of only fifteen new Language Hubs in the coun… More...

The School Arms

A delve into the 2013 edition of Pate's Progress, tells us about our founder Richard Pate and the origin of our School Arms and Colours. More...

Our Year 11's have made us very proud with a set of record-breaking GCSE results. More...

Have Your Say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech