Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Careers > Bryony Collishaw PGS 2014-2021

Bryony Collishaw PGS 2014-2021

With her original gap year plans having to be put aside, Bryony has fully embraced an unexpected employment opportunity that is giving her hugely beneficial experience in the sector she loves.
7 Dec 2021
Careers
Bryony with the storybook from Cinderella
Bryony with the storybook from Cinderella

When I first thought about taking a gap year after my 'A' Levels, I was anticipating a year of travelling and volunteering before I took up my place at Uni. However, due to the pandemic, any grand plans to go abroad had to be quickly forgotten. I knew that I wanted to put all this time that I now had to good use, so over the summer I started asking a few connections that I had at the Barn Theatre in Cirencester about any internship opportunities that they might have in the coming year.

After a few tumultuous weeks, a potential internship opportunity had elevated to an interview for a paid position on the marketing and creative team, which was an absolute blessing of an opportunity that I wanted to get stuck into right away. I was lucky enough to get hired at the beginning of September 2021, and have been there since, working alongside some of the most fantastic, creative, and driven people I have ever met. Despite having only been working there for a few months at this stage, I already feel an age away from my exams this past summer. I was preparing myself for the transition from school to work to be quite jarring, but I have found settling into the schedule of a work day to be a relatively smooth journey.

The biggest project that I have been a part of so far at the Barn has been the 2021 Christmas production of The Brothers Grimm present Cinderella, for which I have been an illustrator and projection artist. The process of putting the show together has taught me so much about the theatre industry, marketing, using digital software, and even filmmaking, and I know that this experience in my gap year will be absolutely invaluable as I go off to Warwick to study Film in 2022.

For anyone who is considering taking a gap year after their A-Levels, I cannot recommend it enough! You will surprise yourself with the opportunities that you can find, the things you can learn, and the experiences you can have.

Bryony took English, Art, and Theatre Studies at A level and will embark on a three year course for a BA in Film Studies at Warwick University in September 2022.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Phoebe outside Durham Cathedral

Phoebe lends some valuable insights into her life as a Politics & International Relations student at the wonderful (small) city of Durham. More...

Businesses in the Refectory

The 2023 HE & Careers Fair was the biggest and best yet! It was wonderful to have so many universities, gap year organis… More...

Leo and Sophie talk about the decision making behind taking a gap year and the far reaching benefits that taking that ye… More...

James talks about his musical life to date - studying Music at Pate's, a Cambridge degree, being a freelance musician an… More...

Zuhayr Shaik

A gap year requires thought and careful planning to make it a success as we find out from Zuhayr who found himself takin… More...

Most read

We are absolutely thrilled that Pate’s, partnered with Cotswold School Academy, has been selected as one of only fifteen new Language Hubs in the coun… More...

2024 marks the 450th anniversary of the founding of Pate's. Current Headteacher, Dr James Richardson, shares his thoughts about reaching this mileston… More...

Alumnus Dr Bertie Vidgen recently returned to Pate's to deliver a student talk. He is currently a lead researcher on AI safety evaluation for ML Commo… More...

Have Your Say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech