Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > School News > Pate's student gains prestigious merit scholarship to a top US college

Pate's student gains prestigious merit scholarship to a top US college

Congratulations to Year 13 student, Saudah Jannat, who has been awarded a Morehead-Cain Scholarship at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
27 Mar 2023
School News
Saudah Jannat, Year 13
Saudah Jannat, Year 13

Saudah is the first Pate's Morehead-Cain Scholar and was one of only four successful applicants from the whole of the UK! Candidates undergo a rigorous selection process where they are assessed on leadership, character, scholarship and physical vigour. Saudah has been kind enough to share her experience of the application process.

I chose to apply as I was interested in studying abroad and most of all in the US for several reasons: the breadth of options the liberal arts curriculum offers, the extracurricular and practical opportunities that were more abundant and commonplace within humanities study with internships, and the research opportunities available to pursue from first year. The Morehead-Cain scholarship offered all that and more, with four fully-funded summers abroad, pursuing internships, research and work experience and a funded international gap year, on top of admission to a Public Ivy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with its rich and close-knit community of high-achieving alumni and scholars.

I applied at the end of September 2022 after being nominated by the Sutton Trust where I had to go through a very testing application process involving writing five short essays on my leadership and my contribution to my local community over my secondary school years, while also submitting a list of extracurriculars which I was involved in and a creative portfolio. I had three interviews thereafter: one semi-finalist recorded online interview, a finalist interview conducted by an admissions board and a group challenges interview. Especially as the success rate for applicants was around 3%, it was incredibly competitive!

The core tenets of the Morehead-Cain foundation are leadership, character, scholarship and physical vigour. All tenets were analysed through my essays of my achievements and experiences, interviews, recommendations from RAFAC officers, teachers and instructors, virtual group challenges, videos of performances and teaching in shooting competitions (for some background, I have been a senior NCO within the RAF Air Cadets and RAFAC National String Orchestra, within school I have been a House Official conducting in House Music and Drama and I have carried out political work experience with Chatham House).

During my offer-holder weekend in earier this month, I was invited to experience sunny North Carolina for five days, getting seats to Duke vs UNC basketball game (the most competitive and sold-out match in collegiate sports), experiencing honours classes and the campus, playing Capture The Flag and connecting with previous MC alumni like Josh Pate (film producer and co-writer of ‘Outer Banks’ on Netflix). It was all so typically American but incredibly fun! I look forward to mountaineering and rock climbing for two weeks abroad as my first summer experience with the Morehead-Cain foundation!

This is an amazing achievement and a life-changing opportunity. We are delighted for Saudah and wish her well!

Similar stories

The Year 7 450th Anniversary History Activity day at the end of the Summer term comprised the winning combination of learning, exercise, fresh air and fun! More...

Staff and students always find themselves in a whirlwind of activity in the last few weeks of the Summer term as a path … More...

To celebrate 450 years since Richard Pate founded Pate's Grammar School, a concert with pupils from The Richard Pate Sch… More...

2024 marks the 450th anniversary of the founding of Pate's. Headteacher, Dr James Richardson, shares his thoughts about … More...

We were very excited to learn that a piece of artwork by one of our Year 10 students has been selected for inclusion in … More...

Most read

Bob and Hilary, May 2023, near Ruthin, Wales

We were so sorry to hear of the passing of Hilary in February aged 83. We remember her through two of the spoken tributes from the Committal Service -… More...

The Balcony with its supportive signs

Staff and students always find themselves in a whirlwind of activity in the last few weeks of the Summer term as a path is cleared for House Drama! More...

Leo and Sophie talk about the decision making behind taking a gap year and the far reaching benefits that taking that year away from education has bro… More...

Have Your Say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech