Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > PGS > Jenni Gough PGS 2004 - 2011

Jenni Gough PGS 2004 - 2011

Jenni knew from a very young age that she wanted to be a Doctor, it was her passion and drive and in her words "The support and encouragement of staff at Pate's" that helped her achieve her dream.
31 Mar 2020
Written by Jennie GOUGH
United Kingdom
PGS
Jenni Gough
Jenni Gough

I remember telling my mother I wanted to be a doctor in the car on the way home from primary school. I then remember not wanting to be a doctor because I would be twenty two when I graduated and that was just unfathomably old.

Pate’s Grammar School re-energised this desire and helped me do the unthinkable – achieve it. I will always be grateful for the guidance and support given to me which probably at the time I regret to say I took for granted.

I love being a doctor – most of the time. It is a career filled with excitement and intrigue which is always changing and never, ever boring. I want to inspire people to do medicine for the reasons which make it so wonderful – when all the pieces of the puzzle come together to form a rare diagnosis; when you can tell someone why they feel bad and how you will fix it; when you help a patient die peacefully surrounded by their relatives.

But I had friends who hated it. And usually they were the ones who had picked medicine for the wrong reasons. They didn’t fully understand what they were getting themselves into. Because medicine is hard. There are long hours, night shifts, angry people, screaming people, and lots and lots and lots of paperwork. And so that passion is essential.

In essence that is why I wanted to come to schools and speak to students about medicine. I wanted to tell them the good and the bad so that people could make informed decisions about the career, and decide to do it (or not to!) for the right reasons.

Jennifer Gough – student 2004-2011
MBBCH Cardiff University
Internal medical trainee Gloucester Royal Hospital
I am always happy to answer emails to any aspiring medics out there with questions: Jennifer.Gough2@nhs.net

Similar stories

Alicia Doble

After leaving Pate's, Alicia followed her passion and studied for a Biology degree at Imperial College, London. But at the back of her mind she knew her real ambition was to follow… More...

Sarah Williams (Eagleton) Class of 1993 & Nicola Eagleton Class of 1994

The Eagleton sisters both fell in love with languages at Pate's with Russian lessons held in a stationery cupboard and G… More...

Mark Cratchley

Mark loved music but it was the inspirational influence of his English teacher who encouraged his love of writing and ac… More...

Matt Gilchrist

Matt only wanted the summer holidays off after leaving Pate's in 2019 - he started back in September as Musician in Resi… More...

Arywen (centre) and her team with PN counting equipment

Six months into her Government Degree Apprenticeship as an Economist with the Department of Transport, Arywen has thrown… More...

Most read

We are absolutely thrilled that Pate’s, partnered with Cotswold School Academy, has been selected as one of only fifteen new Language Hubs in the coun… More...

The School Arms

A delve into the 2013 edition of Pate's Progress, tells us about our founder Richard Pate and the origin of our School Arms and Colours. More...

We recently asked for any Pate's alumni published authors to make themselves known to us for a 450th anniversary project. We were thrilled by the resp… More...

Have Your Say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech