Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Archives > Pate's Grammar School for Girls

Pate's Grammar School for Girls

Opened in 1905, Pate's Grammar School for Girls' first headmistress Miss H.D Heatley adopted for the school motto 'Honestas non Honores' - honourable conduct not worldly honours.
9 Dec 2020
Archives
Pate's Grammar School for Girls
Pate's Grammar School for Girls

In 1905, the Trustees of Pate’s Grammar School Foundation established the County High School for Girls and Miss Helen Donaldson Heatley was its first Headmistress. Opening on 17th January 1905 and situated in Livorno Lodge, (in St. Margaret’s Road close to the corner of North Street), its name was soon changed to Pate’s Grammar School for Girls.  Starting with 82 girls and 5 staff, pupil numbers rose to a healthy 190 by the end of her headship in 1911. 

Miss Heatley chose the school motto ‘Honestas non Honores’ (honourable conduct not worldly honours) as it embodied her ideal for the school – the spirit of doing good work for its own sake and not just in the hope of reward.  She felt passionately that girls should have an all-round education and insisted upon the teaching of science and was particularly keen on the role of games. Hockey, tennis, netball and cricket were played, as she believed that games encouraged girls to develop ‘rapid observation, quickness of decision, love of fair play, courage, self-control and good temper’. We have much to thank her for!

By 1930 the school was seriously overcrowded and the need to expand to a new site became pressing. On 23rd July 1938 Sir Richard Livingstone, President of Corpus Christi College, laid the foundation stone for the new Girls’ School in Albert Road (now Pitville School). The building was financed by the County Council and leased to the Pate’s Foundation at a nominal rent. The School opened on 19th September 1939, before it was completely finished, in order to forestall any attempt to requisition the premises for the War Department. In 1946 Livorno Lodge became home to the newly established Pate’s Junior School.  

In 1986 Pate’s Grammar School for Girls, Albert Road, closed and Pate’s Grammar School opened as a mixed grammar school at the Princess Elizabeth Way site. The former Monkscroft School site was used for the Lower School forms until 1995 when the current school opened, accommodating all pupils at the Princess Elizabeth Way site.  

Similar stories

The School Arms

A delve into the 2013 edition of Pate's Progress, tells us about our founder Richard Pate and the origin of our School Arms and Colours. More...

Rob Rimell & Maggie Cowie

The Archives has moved to the main school building and we are looking forward to displaying treasures from our illustrio… More...

View of CGS taken from the small Hall looking south showing the Library

Green Socks Don't Suit the Building : architectural memories of Cheltenham Grammar School 1965-72 More...

House Rugby Shield

Our Archivists have been looking through old school magazines to piece together the history of the House system at Pate'… More...

Most read

We are absolutely thrilled that Pate’s, partnered with Cotswold School Academy, has been selected as one of only fifteen new Language Hubs in the coun… More...

We recently asked for any Pate's alumni published authors to make themselves known to us for a 450th anniversary project. We were thrilled by the resp… More...

2024 marks the 450th anniversary of the founding of Pate's. Current Headteacher, Dr James Richardson, shares his thoughts about reaching this mileston… More...

Have Your Say

 
This website is powered by
ToucanTech